ENGINEERING & CAPPING WORKS
Several meetings and discussions took place during 2016 to discuss forming a collaboration with RML on a large scale project for one of our existing clients, Suez. The works consisted of overburden stripping to gain access to the various grade of sand mineral deposits beneath, that will last for several years ahead.
The works were a complexed tender process undertaken by Red Materials (Principal Contractor)relating to the importation of fill material, engineering Cell works and capping existing landfill previously filled by Reds.
Pope Plant Ltd successfully tendered for all engineering and capping works to be phased over a 4 year period on Sub-Contractor basis.
The first phase of works was in Area A.
Unfortunately, there was an unscheduled gap between works completion in Area A and works commencing in Area C due to unforeseen circumstances beyond RML/Pope control. Pope Plant Ltd had de-mobilise from site for a 6 week period.
This resulted in several additional engineering items being added to the CQA plan for Area C and a lesser timescale for completion of the works, whilst also pushing the contract into the later stages of the year.
Area C works consisted of several phases of works. Here we list works carried out in both Areas :
- Install circa 27’000m2 of GCL - Area A
- Install 300mm protection layer above the capping system in preparation of clean imported inert soils for restoration by RML - Area A
- sand excavation to formation levels - Area C
- Construction of an engineered perimeter bund - Area C
- 0.5m clay engineering and testing to achieve specification - Area C
- 100mm artificial sealing layer - Area C
- 3 x concrete target pads, sump installation and concrete pad - Area C
- geotextile installation - Area C
- 300mm leachate drainage blanket installation - Area C
- Installation of leachate collection system - Area C
- Finally wrapped in Geotextile above all the engineering works ready for Environmental agency approval - Area C
All the works including the additional works, were carried out within budget and within timescales given for the original contract.
The works are to continue during 2018 once infilling commences.
“All work has been carried out in accordance with an approved CQA Plan and has been undertaken to the highest standards.
Craig Pope and his team are knowledgeable, approachable and have an excellent attitude towards Health & Safety
I would strongly recommend the services of Pope Plant Ltd.”